If you’re struggling with vaginal dryness, Life Studios can help. Our practice was founded by gynecologists who have helped many women reclaim their gynecologic vitality. Our experience has also taught us that vaginal dryness isn’t simply a physiological issue because it can have a significant impact on a woman’s sense of self. Therefore, the entire Life Studios team works hard to create a welcoming and compassionate environment where patients can feel free to share their concerns and goals. Come visit us and see for yourself!
Why Vaginal Dryness Occurs
The main cause of vaginal dryness is estrogen depletion. Estrogen plays a big role in many aspects of a woman’s health, including maintaining optimal vaginal lubrication, acidity levels, and tissue elasticity. These factors are very important because they provide a natural defense against bacteria and reduce chances of vaginal and urinary tract infections.
However, a variety of factors decreases estrogen levels over time. Some of these include:
- Menopause and perimenopause
- Cancer therapy (due to effects of hormone therapy, radiation, and chemotherapy)
- Surgical removal of the ovaries
- Smoking tobacco
- Medications like Arimidex, Tamoxifen, and Letrazole (all of which reduce estrogen)
- Birth control pills
- Certain antidepressants
Further, estrogen depletion isn’t always the cause of vaginal dryness. Other changes in the body can lead to this condition, including:
- Breast-feeding: high levels of prolactin and oxytocin hormones promote milk production but can cause vaginal dryness
- Autoimmune disorders: Sjogren’s (dry eyes, dry mouth, dry vagina)
Unfortunately, such hormonal changes often cause a weakening of the body’s natural gynecologic defenses. This leads to a more fragile vaginal lining, which becomes thinner, dryer, and inelastic. This can also lead to a condition known as vulvar and vaginal atrophy (VVA). VVA can cause symptoms such as painful sex, burning, itching, dryness, urinary tract infections, and painful urination.
Treating Vaginal Dryness
Life Studios is proud to be one of the top utilizers of MonaLisa Touch!
The device is a specialized laser that uses fractional laser energy to revitalize vaginal tissue. The energy gently heats up the tissue; a process which stimulates the body’s repair processes. This increases levels of collagen and elastin (which makes vaginal tissue more elastic) and boosts hyaluronic acid levels (which increases moisture and strengthens the protective barrier against bacteria). MonaLisa Touch is a wonderful option for women who wish to avoid hormone exposure.
Perhaps the best aspect of MonaLisa Touch for vaginal dryness is that the procedure takes only 5 minutes and is performed in the office. There is no down time (you just have to avoid intercourse for several days), and the procedure can even be performed on your lunch break, which makes it very convenient.
Personalized Solutions for Vaginal Dryness
When you visit Life Studios for vaginal dryness treatment, one of our expert providers will take the time to understand your concerns and your needs. In addition to treating this issue with a procedure like MonaLisa Touch, your provider can help you take other steps for increasing gynecologic vitality and reducing dryness. Some of these may include:
- Reducing douching, as this can irritate the thin vaginal lining and result in dryness.
- Quitting smoking, as cigarette cause an oxidative effect on the vaginal walls.
- Assessing whether chronic use of allergy medications may be causing the dryness.
- Recommending bio-identical hormones and lubricants that are right for you.
Additionally, your Life Studios provider may suggest the use of herbal supplements to help achieve vaginal moisture. Some of these may include:
- Black Cohosh: (sometimes referred to as rattleroot, black snakeroot) come from a perennial plant and can be effective in alleviating menopausal symptoms such as vaginal dryness.
- Comfrey Salve: Products that contain allantoin, such as Comfrey salve, sooth the irritated tissues as well as encourage growth of new and healthy cells.
- Isoflavones: Consuming a diet rich in Isoflavones (a plant-based substance in soybeans and such products including tofu, edamame, and soy milk). Isoflavones have properties that actually imitate estrogen.
- Vitamin E & Aloe Vaginal Ovules: restore moisture without hormone exposure.
Give us a Call!
The expert providers at Life Studios are here to help you. Just give us a call at (916) 797-1878, or use the contact form to send us a note.